Thursday, May 10, 2012

College

So, I haven't posted in a while here, mostly because I've been running around like a mad man for the last few weeks.  I had a hockey tournament in Pittsburgh, typically work weeks, Overtime, as well as the fact that I'm now in 3 separate hockey leagues.  That being said, here is my latest entry.

I've officially decided to go back to school this fall.  The hardest part is figuring out what the hell I'm going to do to pay for it.  I never went to college out of high school as i got a job using my computer certification.  It was a decent entry level job, with opportunity to advance.  Around 2 years later I found myself unemployed with no degree and hardly any experience in the field, which landed me back in a retail job.  I jerked around in this field for a few more years, which finally i decided that i need to go back to school to get out of the dungeon known as retail.  I went back for Pharmacy, and quickly learned it was more work than i could handle with a full time job, that combined with the fact that Wilkes was charging me 26k a year.  I was so broke after paying bills I could barely eat.  Those two combined factors is what led me to leave school.  2 years in and I had nothing to show for it.

This time I've changed my major to something I really actually am interested in.....Communications.  I plan on taking Journalism classes as well as Media classes.  I've always been quite good at expressing my self via text and or speaking my mind.  I was a DJ on the radio for a little while and I always found that to be cool.  I got to create comedy sketches for the show, play the music I thought was cool, and even have friends listen to me.  If you cant already tell I'm pretty much 100% obsessed with Ice Hockey, I'd absolutely love to do something in the sports field, sports writing, sports reporting, anything like that.  I have to say I'm really quite excited about this.

The challenge now comes in the small stuff.  "Don't sweat the small stuff" they always say.  I say that's bullshit, at least for me.  Small stuff like funding for college, money for books, class scheduling, electives, figuring out all the paper work.  These are the hardest things for me.  I hate reading monotonous text about loans and such. If its something I'm interested in its no problem, but fine print about loans....I'm going to have to will myself to do this.

The question I have is how the hell do people get all these grants and scholarships.  I've filled out the FAFSA and they always tell me to go blow a dong, thus i get no funding.  I should have payed more attention in high school when they talked about these things.  I dated a girl that went to school essentially on a free ride after all her scholarships and grants, and some how had so much left over she put a down payment on a car with it.  How do things like this happen to everyone else, but not me.  Well not this time, I'm gonna figure this shit out if it kills me, By THE WAY, if anyone has any input or ideas, please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Sallie Mae has a program that allows you to make payments toward tuition so you don't have to front the money all up front. Go back to LCCC for the classes that will transfer = cheaper credits. Rent the text books at Chegg.com.

    You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete